Help the Fire Department! - Support Volunteer Program
If you're 50 or older and you want to use your free time to help the Fire Department in a support role, you might be who we are looking for to join our Support Volunteer Program!
Do you . . .
- Communicate effectively with the public, both in person and by phone?
- Have a current California Driver's License and proof of auto insurance?
Are you . . .
- Someone who enjoys working with a team of people?
- Physically able to do light physical work and commit to a schedule?
- At least 50 years of age?
Support Volunteers need to be able to commit to at least 4 hours per week or 16 hours per month.
- Pick up and deliver supplies and equipment throughout our seven fire stations, headquarters and city hall
- Respond to extended emergency incidents with the Support Volunteer van to set up and staff a firefighter rehabilitation function (cooldown and hydration)
- Assist with basic fire prevention inspections and education
- Provide office support to include filing, answering phones and computer data entry
- Assist with stand-by fire watch as needed
- Test and install smoke alarms as requested by homeowners
- Assist the Fire Prevention Bureau at special events with informational displays, presentations and fire extinguisher demonstrations
- Assist with conducting fire station tours for groups (schools, clubs, etc.)
- Perform pre-fire plan and map checks and Knox Box updates as needed
- Valid California Driver's License
- Past fire and EMS experience is a plus but not at all required
- Bilingual skills are highly desirable
- A heart for service
The Fire Department Will Provide . . .
- Communications equipment
- Gratitude for your help and service!
For more information regarding the Support Volunteer Program take a look at our flyer: Support Volunteer Program Flyer.
Interested? please contact our Support Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator, Pat Benson at 760-839-5419.
Support Volunteer Program Application